[Sca-cooks] Chili and coleslaw?

Pat mordonna22 at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 24 08:19:13 PDT 2004

The Reb said something like:
>Like chili and cole slaw?  The Carolina burger was one of the things about living in the >southeastern US that I never could quite cope with.
>That and grits.

Actually, I thought a "Carolina Burger" was a bun, with chopped pork barbecue, mustard based barbecue sauce, and coleslaw (made properly with lots of mayonaise).  Didn't know that had degraded to a hamburger with chili and coleslaw.  The first is delectable, the second is just wrong...

As for grits, I've never seen the big deal about grits.  How could anyone who eats farina or cream of wheat or polenta or even frumenty think there is something low or coarse about grits?  Is it the name, or a cultural bias against anything that smacks of Southern and Poor?

Pat Griffin
Lady Anne du Bosc
known as Mordonna the Cook
www.mordonnasplace.com