[Sca-cooks] Grits

Michael Gunter countgunthar at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 24 11:24:57 PDT 2004

Being raised by an Okie mother who was raised in the cotton patches I
grew up on Southern food. Grits being very common. As I child I ate
them mainly with butter and sugar. Later I ate them with the adults
mixed into fried eggs.

But I've also done some "fancy" things with grits. Possibly the fanciest
I've ever done them is Carolina Shrimp Grits. It involved cooking the
grits in cream and cheese. Then adding in grilled shrimp and herbs.
Totally upperclass and dacadent.

I've also had cold grits formed into patties and fried served with maple
syrup.

Much like polenta or other grain dishes, they are good eatin'.

Gunthar