[Sca-cooks] whole wheat flour sources

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Fri Sep 3 19:32:50 PDT 2004

King Arthur does do mail order, but it's pricey.  Check out their website to
see what the sell, but check with high end groceries or even bakery
suppliers to keep the costs down.  I've also found it in some health food
stores.  If you are into heavy baking, you might check with you local bakery
suppliers to see what they carry is specialty flours.  The quality is
usually better than the stuff in the grocery, but the quantities may be
prohibitive.

The bulk whole wheat pastry flour (their regular whole wheat was too
"grahamy" for me) was through a local health food store, who had a deal with
a mill in Kansas.  I doubt you will be able to find it.  If you do, it will
almost certainly be a health food store or a bakery supplier.

You might check California for some local mills which still stone grind
flour.  Stone ground hard winter wheat makes some of the best bread (but you
may have to bolt it if the mill won't handle that for you).

BTW, about the only King Arthur flour I use is the KA White Whole Wheat,
because it is a specialized flour that has few substitutes readily
available.  Where I have more selection and lower prices, I tend to go with
the flour that best suits the task at the lowest price.

Bear

>Bear, I know you are probably way out in Texas, and I am way over here in
California, but where do you find this stuff?  Does this King Arthur do mail
order?  And what sort of place would I be looking for to find bulk whole
wheat pastry flour?