[Sca-cooks] whole wheat flour sources

Samrah auntie_samrah at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 3 19:56:40 PDT 2004

When you say "grahamy", I know defining tastes is difficult, but is that just too "brown" tasting or more like a malt or graham cracker taste?

Thanks Bear, Phlip & everybody.  When I was really healthy, I used to go through about 25 pounds of flour a year just for my family & friends.  That's not a whole lot when it comes to pounds of flour, but it is a fair amount for a single lady who doesn't use a mixer, not doing SCA feasts or anything.  Kept the white regular flour in a tamale can.  Brown flour goes rancid though, and won't keep nearly as well.

We have a shire that loves to cook here so I will look into the larger quantities.  We did bread from scratch for our last feast.  It was wonderful.  Half whole wheat half regular flour with the mexican cone sugar.  I got to teach & supervise (but not make as much as I would have liked) as I'd only been out of ICU for a couple months.  Could be I can get a cooperative going.  We have a couple of good health food stores.  I am not sure about the commercial flour suppliers here, but we are about 2 hours of either Fresno or Los Angeles so somebody somewhere probably has some interesting stuff.

Thanks again,
Samrah

PS.  I love honey, particularly clover honey, in all breads, and thanks for how to make the sponge.  I'd heard about sponge, but now how to do it.

Terry Decker <t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net> wrote:
King Arthur does do mail order, but it's pricey. Check out their website to
see what the sell, but check with high end groceries or even bakery
suppliers to keep the costs down. I've also found it in some health food
stores. If you are into heavy baking, you might check with you local bakery
suppliers to see what they carry is specialty flours. The quality is
usually better than the stuff in the grocery, but the quantities may be
prohibitive.

The bulk whole wheat pastry flour (their regular whole wheat was too
"grahamy" for me) was through a local health food store, who had a deal with
a mill in Kansas. I doubt you will be able to find it. If you do, it will
almost certainly be a health food store or a bakery supplier.

You might check California for some local mills which still stone grind
flour. Stone ground hard winter wheat makes some of the best bread (but you
may have to bolt it if the mill won't handle that for you).

BTW, about the only King Arthur flour I use is the KA White Whole Wheat,
because it is a specialized flour that has few substitutes readily
available. Where I have more selection and lower prices, I tend to go with
the flour that best suits the task at the lowest price.

Bear