[Sca-cooks] Frog legs

Laura C. Minnick lcm at jeffnet.org
Mon Sep 6 22:45:44 PDT 2004

At 10:24 PM 9/6/2004, you wrote:

>So, how is this coming along? I assume you haven't done this feast yet.
>Are you really going to serve frog legs at a feast? Aren't they rather
>expensive? They seem to be in restaurants. Or are you combining this with
>a children's activity and sending the kids down to the creek with nets?

Stranger things have happened, Stefan. There used to be a small Summits
event held at a site that was on one of the feeder creeks of the Umpqua
river. In the morning, someone would march down to the creek with the kids,
a couple of crawdad traps, and a little bait (not the kids!). Throw the
traps in, go watch the tourney. In the late afternoon, go back down, all of
the kids in tow, get the traps, and haul them in. They'd be put on to boil
while people were bringing their feast gear in, etc. I remember one year
they had fresh bread baked on the hearth of the fireplace (large open
shelter), fresh butter (most of the churning done by my oldest daughter),
assorted and sundry potluck contributions, and fresh crawfish. Oh man, it
was good! With the possible exception for my son, who had helped catch the
crawfish, and suddenly freaked out when faced with eating one! (Stephen was
about 5 at the time, so he can be forgiven! ;-)

'Lainie
-just back from a coast trip- I had a lovely seafood pasta last night with
shrimp and scallops, and prawns and onion rings done in tempura batter on
our way home! Woo-hoo!