[Sca-cooks] New, If OOP and Rather Odd, Cooking Site

Daniel Phelps phelpsd at gate.net
Sat Sep 11 12:55:39 PDT 2004

Was written:

> > > Moose loin. YUMMMMM.... I wonder if Elk is as good. Is Elk more like
> > > Caribou or like Moose?

I responded:

> > If you are European, Elk is Moose, i.e. the same critter.  My bet is
that
> > American elk, wapiti, is more like caribou.

In reply was:

> Ok, I've read that three or four times and I still can't parse it into
> an answer to the question I had. I may just be braindead, though.
>
> I've had American Moose.
>
> I've had Canadian Caribou.
>
> Would European elk taste more like American Moose or Caribou, do you
> think?

My clarification:

European Elk tastes like American Moose... indeed pretty much exactly like
it as they are both the same critter or at most subspecies "recently"
seperated.  To say it another way what Europeans knows as Elk we Americans
know as Moose.  What we Americans knows as Elk is more properly known as
Wapiti.  A European looking at one would describe a Wapiti as a large deer.
Incidentally Wapiti have recently been reintroduced into the mountains of
Tennessee.

Daniel