[Sca-cooks] A Moose by an Other Name Would Still Have Antlers?

Daniel Phelps phelpsd at gate.net
Sun Sep 12 08:30:26 PDT 2004

Was written:

> European elk is Alces alces.  North American moose is Alces americana.
They
> are closely related.  European elk tastes closer to American moose than it
> does to Caribou.

My error, no zoologist I.  In pictures they both look the same and as
witness the famous "moose test" are occasionally, even in Europe, called
moose.  Along those lines I've read that statistically automotive
encounters/accidents with moose are 70% fatal... near to 100% for moose.
I've also heard of at least one Coummunity College in moose country offering
a course in road kill butchery, i.e. you hit it you eat it.  Please note
that the legality of such varies substantially from state to state.

Daniel