[Sca-cooks] Hog, etc roaster for sale, on line...

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Tue Sep 14 07:01:32 PDT 2004

Also sprach Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise:
>  > but it only cooks up to 100 lbs pigs...
>>  i think i want two... plus one for the chickens
>>  mind you, this is just for a medium feast...
>
>Hm....
>Can we talk about feast quantities now?
>
>2/3 to 3/4 of a pound meat per person TOTAL is plenty for a feast, at
>least where I come from...
>
>But how much wastage is there on a 100 lb pig?

_VERY ROUGHLY_, a whole, dressed, on the bone quadruped is going to
hover somewhere loosely around the 50% edible portion. Pigs, since a
certain amount of fat is expected, because some of the skin is
edible, and because they're now bred for more meat, will go somewhat
higher percentage-wise, than, say, a dressed baby calf or a lamb, or
a deer. If you have an undressed animal with guts and such, and
aren't planning on eating the guts, that will, of course, add to the
perceived waste.

But let's say 50% is a reasonable rule of thumb for a dressed pig --
figure on somewhere around 50 lbs raw pork muscle meat from a 100-lb
pig. Roughly 70 servings...

Johnnae's numbers, which are more pig-specific than mine, would give
you closer to 90 servings.

Adamantius
Holt, 07/29/04