[Sca-cooks] barm for bread

Avraham haRofeh avrahamharofeh at herald.sca.org
Fri Sep 17 17:00:03 PDT 2004

> I'll be looking at your blog with keen interest  -- as I too want to try
> my hand at using beer barm for breadmaking.  So just what is barm?  where
> in the beer making process is it taken from?  How much did you get, and
> will you be able to sustain it for some time?

Barm is the floating, yeast-laden foam on the top of the beer (or other
fermentable). It would be skimmed off just before the beer was racked the
first time. Barm, dried and crumbled into powder, was the first "baker's
yeast".

Reb Avraham haRofeh
     (mka Randy Goldberg MD)
Quarterly azure and argent, four mascles counterchanged
Random Tag: Funny men are better lovers. They know about pain. - Spider Robinson