[Sca-cooks] last of recipies from castellan kids

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Sat Sep 18 09:29:19 PDT 2004

Also sprach Robin Carroll-Mann:
>All of these recipes look OOP to me.  I don't recognize any of them as being
>from period sources, and they all have a modern "feel" to me.  The cherry
>soup recipe sounds vaguely familiar.  I think I saw something like it in the
>recipe section of the Known World Handbook, many years ago.  It was one
>of various traditional ethnic recipes that were provided as possible
>selections
>for a medievaloid feast.

Chilled fruit soups are a pretty standard German/Eastern European
concept (more so, I think, than in Scandinavia), even down to the
whipped cream or sour cream garnish. They may derive from period
dishes like syrosye, but the modern recipes which seem to involve
stewing any of several fruits (apricots, peaches, cherries or plums
seem to be the most common), pureeing them, thickening with a starch
(especially cornstarch or arrowroot), appear to be pretty modern.

Most of the vaguely similar period fruit pottages I've seen thicken
with rice flour, bread crumbs, or wheat starch (amydoun), and are
then loosened up and enriched with a bit of melted fat, which also
provides the advantage of keeping a skin from forming as it cools.
I'd suspect the use of cornstarch or arrowroot to be pretty telling.

Adamantius

Holt, 07/29/04