[Sca-cooks] Re: Seeking Kid friendly period recipes

Bronwynmgn at aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Sun Sep 19 04:21:26 PDT 2004

In a message dated 9/18/2004 1:42:39 PM Eastern Standard Time,
ddfr at daviddfriedman.com writes:

<<This sounds a little like losyns, but not much. Any one know what the
original is?

>1 pound of dried egg noodles
>1 tablespoon of oil
>Large pinch of salt
>2 cups of grated cheddar cheese
>1 stick of butter>>

Actually, with the exception of adding the salt and the oil to the boiling
process, it's very close to Macrows.  That particular recipe tells you how to
make the dough, has you boil it (in broth, I believe), and then layer it with
cheese and butter.  It never tells you to bake it to melt it all together, so I
find that particular step in the instructions (putting it into an oven to bake
briefly *if you want to*) rather telling.  It sounds like someone assumed
that, because they are cooking pasta, one MUST, of course, use salt and oil in
the water as is the normal process today, but otherwise followed a period recipe
rather closely.
I've seen a similar practice happen (in a mundanely available cookbook) with
hedgehogs (yrchouns) made as meatballs - the original calls for only meat and
spices, while the redaction calls for the addition of egg and breadcrumbs to
bind them together, which is of course how meatballs and meatloaves are made
today.

Brangwayna