[Sca-cooks] Pottages and Vegetarians and Carnivores, oh my

kingstaste at mindspring.com kingstaste at mindspring.com
Mon Sep 20 15:51:27 PDT 2004

While I don't have anything useful to add to your query about making a happy
medium pottage (starting to sound a lot like Goldilocks, there), I did make
a very sucessful barley frumenty for my Middle Ages class this week.  I used
organic pearled barley, vegetable stock (mushroom broth, veg stock),
saffron, almond milk, egg yolks, and sauteed bacon until crisp and mixed it
in.
The kids (and moms) loved it. One kid was so impressed with the food that he
said it was the best food he had ever eaten anywhere.  Gotta love reviews
like that!
They especially liked the frumenty, which sort of surprised me.  But several
of them commented on not thinking they liked barley, 'but this is great!'.
Christianna