[Sca-cooks]Oats and Haggis

Finne Boonen hennar at gmail.com
Mon Sep 20 16:34:33 PDT 2004

2nd try, now htat my comp is working again

I have no idea about the age of these recipes, I'm a bit stuck for
sources on Iceland or scandinavia ;( (yes, I checked the florilegium,
wich did include posts by someone named nana wich where very
interesting but offcourse I had to find out about this after I went to
visit my hostfamily in Iceland this summer ;()

anywyas, for those that want to try it even tho the age of the recipe is fuzzy
Rugbraud, or hverbraud, or apparantly thunderbread
(btw, hverbraud means spring bread, because in the olden days (just
don't ask me how old yet, will have to wait till next year to find the
answer for that one I think) i was put in forms and buried near warm
water springs in order to bake (or so my hostmums old cooking book
told me)

500g/ 1 lbs rye flour
125g/ 1/4 lbs brown flour
4dl milk  (milk till the flour can't soak up anything anymore rather)
150g/ 3/8 lbs sugar   (if the recipe is old, the sugar is a recent
addition, sugar being very expensive in the olden days)
salt
yeast (I use 1 packet of 10g)

mix everything together and put in a tin. bake at 212 Fahrenheit (yes,
100° Celcius). If you're using an open pan it's recommended to put
water in the oven so the bread doesn't dry as much.
I bake mine in a milk carton that I fold close again.
The result should be a heavy very dark bread wich tastes slightly
sweet, not at all like a sourdough bread!

Lumpur
small pancakes

make normal pancake dough and mix in the leftover porridge from the
morning or day before (it's best when the dough/batter has either
stood for an hour or more so the oats get softer, or when it's
leftover porridge)
Bake in a pan using about 1 big tablespoon/piece (you can make several
pieces in the same pan at the same time)
Serve with jam (or as is currently done, with sugar)
very yummy, and very filling.