[Sca-cooks] Pottages and Vegetarians and Carnivores, oh my

kingstaste at mindspring.com kingstaste at mindspring.com
Tue Sep 21 15:16:06 PDT 2004

You've nailed it exactly.  With bits of saffron threads throughout adding a
delightful red counterpoint :)  I tend to use lots of saffron - why use it
if you aren't going to know it's there?  I was going for a variety of spices
for this class, and ended up thinking I had way too many strong flavors for
these kids, but that wasn't the case at all.  I used cloves in the hedgehogs
because there was ginger in 3 other things, and one boy didn't like them
just because he didn't like the clove flavor.  Several started out saying 'I
don't like .x.', but then tried whatever .x. was for them and ended up going
back for more.  I was surprised at how many really loved the barley
frumenty.  Of course, the bacon helped - I had it chopped in 1-inch pieces
and crispy, so it was attractive.  Kids always love bacon anyway.
I have lots left, in fact I have about 6 cups of it that hasn't been
finished with the egg yolk or had any meat added, frozen for future use. I
have about 2 cups of the stuff I did at the class left over, and I'm working
my way through it.
Christianna

That sounds great.  Sounds like it should have been a creamy pale
yelllow pottage with bacon.

Cadoc

 I did make a very sucessful barley frumenty for my Middle Ages class this
week.  I used