[Sca-cooks] re:dumplings

ysabeau ysabeau at mail.ev1.net
Wed Sep 22 11:42:15 PDT 2004

That sounds kind of like the recipe for spaetzle. I first had it
in Germany and it is kind of a cross between a noodle and
dumpling...more of a drop like a dumpling, but not quite big
enough to get the bread part in the middle, if that makes sense.
I've traditionally seen it served with goulash but I think it
would be good in any type of dish that would include noodles or
dumplings.

I found the following on the Florilegium
<quote>OK, found the documentation from a class I taught in the
Midrealm.
Fahrenkamp gives his source as the 14th C. Tegernsee Cloister, but
does
not give the original, and I don't have a copy of this, although I
would
love to.

The Stuttgarter Kochkolleg gives the possible origin as 13th C.,
derived
from Italian workers who brought their favorite pasta recipes with
them
to Germany.  The Italian word, _spezzatina_, refers to little
cuttings of
noodle dough.  Niccolo, does this go along with your Italian
research?

Allison,     allilyn at juno.com
</quote>

I don't know if this Allison is on this list, but here is the URL
for the thread. I can't post links through this email client -
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/dumplings-msg.rtf

Spaetzle:
Spaetzle Recipe
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 egg, well beaten
1/4 to 3/4 cup water
Sift flour and salt into a mixing bowl. Add egg; mix. Add water
gradually until batter is stiff but smooth. Press dough flat on a
plate or floured board. With a sharp knife, scrape small pieces of
dough off and drop into boiling salted water. There should be only
one layer at a time of spaetzle cooking. Boil gently for 5 to 8
minutes, or until done to your taste. Remove with perforated spoon
and let drain. Serve as a side dish with meat. Serve right away or
sauté the finished spaetzle in butter until golden and sprinkle
with Parmesan cheese.

Ysabeau
Barony of Bryn Gwlad
Ansteorra