[Sca-cooks] re:dumplings

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 22 15:05:50 PDT 2004

I have found three different ways of making
spaetzle.  One is like you mention, rolling it
into finger widths and cutting it before boiling.
Another is to rice it with a special spaetlze
mandolin.  The third is to make it like my
Prussian grandmother did, by dropping
teaspoonfulls of dough directely into the boiling
water.  All are correct, just regional
variations.

But, as I said before, Dr. Thomas Gloning hasn't
found any period spaetzle recipes, as of a
conversation several years ago and he has access
to all these manuscripts.

Huette

http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/dumplings-msg.rtf

> Spaetzle:
> Spaetzle Recipe
> 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
> 1 teaspoon salt
> 1 egg, well beaten
> 1/4 to 3/4 cup water
> Sift flour and salt into a mixing bowl. Add
> egg; mix. Add water
> gradually until batter is stiff but smooth.
> Press dough flat on a
> plate or floured board. With a sharp knife,
> scrape small pieces of
> dough off and drop into boiling salted water.
> There should be only
> one layer at a time of spaetzle cooking. Boil
> gently for 5 to 8
> minutes, or until done to your taste. Remove
> with perforated spoon
> and let drain. Serve as a side dish with meat.
> Serve right away or
> sauté the finished spaetzle in butter until
> golden and sprinkle
> with Parmesan cheese.
>
> Ysabeau
> Barony of Bryn Gwlad