[Sca-cooks] Re: dumplings

Ruth Frey ruthf at uidaho.edu
Wed Sep 22 12:38:11 PDT 2004

> "amanda sears" <kissesmomof4 at msn.com> wrote:
> I am looking in a book I am reading now and the first RECORDED
> recipe in a recipe book is from 1653. The dumplings were made of
> flour, pepper, salt, yeast and water, made into tiny manchets and
> boiled in water for an hour. These were served buttered. Earlier
> dumplings it says would have been cooked in a broth in the stew
> pot.

     Doesn't Platina have some dumpling-y recipes, simmered in
broth?  They probably aren't called dumplings, but I'd be inclined
to consider them along the lines of at least spatzle.

     Of course, I'm working from memory, and don't have my copy of
Platina in front of me at work, so I might be hallucinating it
all, but I *was* going through the book recently, with beginning
thoughts of a Platina-based 12th Night feast.

                    -- Ruth