[Sca-cooks] Chili and coleslaw?

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Fri Sep 24 08:34:34 PDT 2004

Mordonna wrote:

>As for grits, I've never seen the big deal about grits.  How could anyone who eats farina or cream of wheat or polenta or even frumenty think there is something low or coarse about grits?  Is it the name, or a cultural bias against anything that smacks of Southern and Poor?

I think that the big problem with most folks who try grits is that they
conceive of them as a cereal, much like cream of wheat, etc.  The way I
was taught to eat them by my grandfather in southern Georgia is with
very, very sharp cheddar cheese and butter....or with sausage and cream
gravy...or with country ham and red-eye gravy.  And, for a lot, it's
something that's unfamiliar!  My main regret about the South Beach diet
is that it doesn't include grits.  Sigh.

Kiri