[Sca-cooks] Barm Brack

Laura C. Minnick lcm at jeffnet.org
Wed Sep 29 19:49:28 PDT 2004

At 07:39 PM 9/29/2004, you wrote:
>Phlip replied to my question about peeling raisins with:
>> > Huh? *Peel* the raisins?
>> >
>> > How do you do this? It seems like it would be difficult and/or after
>> > the skin is removed, that there wouldn't be much left.
>>
>>Stefan, love, what is the second ingredient?
>
>Huh? "1 c candied lemon peel". So? I must be missing something, but what
>do candied lemon peels have to do with peeling raisins? Take some of the
>candied lemon peel, lick them and make your fingers sticky enough to
>handle the grapes easier? :-)
>
>Stefan

Stefan, the word 'peel' in this context is a NOUN, not a verb. If you add
an extra article, it would 'soften the raisins and the peel and drain'-
candied peel can be pretty solid, and you need to soak it a bit to soften
it- ditto with some raisins. I discovered several years ago that if I'm
putting raisins in baked goods, if I pour a little boiling water over them
and let them sit a few minutes to plump up, I get a much nicer result. I do
the same with those alleged pieces of 'fruit' that go in fruitcakes. And my
recipe for pfeffernuisse has the option of diced citron- soaking it for a
few minutes also makes it easier to work with.

Does that clear it up?

'Lainie