[Sca-cooks] Re: turnips

Ruth Frey ruthf at uidaho.edu
Thu Sep 30 10:24:54 PDT 2004

> > Is there anywhere, a documented name for this dish which
> downplays the
> > "turnip" as such?  Armoured vegetables?  Armored neeps?  I want
> to serve
> > this to a very mainstream group without scaring them off.
> >
> > Selene
>
> The name is already translated from Latin, so maybe if you
> translate it
> into French? Everything sounds better in French.

     Whatever you do, however, it's probably best to avoid having the term "rapes" on the menu.  People have a tendency to take that one sooooo
wrong!  :)

     OTOH, I don't see that "armored turnips" is all that scary a name
(I've even had people request the dish, once they hear what the
"armoring" onvolves).  "Armored neeps" however, would make me think
twice about it, if I wsn't familiar with Period terminology . . . I mean,
I can see the word "neep" conjuring all *kinds* of interesting speculation.
:)

         -- Ruth