[Sca-cooks] Canned, dried fava beans

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Mon Apr 18 23:00:17 PDT 2005

Urtatim, formerly Anahita replied to my questions about her canned,
dried fava beans with:
> Indeed, the beans in the can are soft and packed in the water in
> which they were cooked.
>
> My assumption is that they are dried fava beans that have been cooked
> and canned, rather than fresh fava beans cooked and canned

Okay. At first this sounds like they are going through an extra,
unnecessary step, drying the beans and then boiling them in water, but
I guess it is similar to the difference between cooking with fresh and
dried pasta.

> (and i was not meaning they were cooked fava beans that had been
> dried, rattling around :-)

No, I guess not. The canned fava beans are trying to imitate the
traditional beans yet be easier to work with and doing it this way
would likely result in a rather non-traditional product. And probably
not solve the time problem as you would still have to re-hydrate them.
I think the result would more likely be a bean paste. Or like refried
beans. :-)

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas