[Sca-cooks] A question for horticulturists

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 22 10:05:35 PDT 2005

About five years ago, my mother decided she wanted to plant an ornamental plum tree in a specific
spot in our yard.  I tried to talk her out of going with an ornamental because I love plums and
liked the idea of growing our own.  But my mother was adamant, saying she didn't want to have
to deal with the mess and what to do with an overabundance of plums.  So an ornamental was
purchased and planted.

It really is a lovely tree, with purple leaves all year around and lovely pink flowers in the
spring.

Yesterday, I noticed about 8 or more red cherry-sized fruit growing on the tree.  Now I am
wondering if it really is an ornamental?  Or is this just a common phenomenon with ornamentals
and the fruit will not develop into fully ripe fruit?  Do any of you on this list have a clue
as to what is going on with my tree?  Is it possible for an tree to go from an ornamental to
a fruit-bearing tree?

Thanks for any clues you can give me.

Huette

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves for
they shall never cease to be amused.