[Sca-cooks] Book Questions...

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Apr 6 22:25:33 PDT 2005

Alexa commented:
> I have just recently started the search and what not
> of history with food.

What kinds of books are you looking for? Recipe books or books about
food?

For the latter, you might want to take a look at this file in the
FOOD-BOOKS section of the Florilegium:
books-food-msg   (149K)  1/24/05    Books about food. Not cookbooks.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BOOKS/books-food-msg.html

This file has a lot of comments on this type of books as well as some
reviews, from both this list and elsewhere.

> I have not heard of the book
> you mentioned, but, I did find 2 in a local library
> (Virginia Beach, VA).  One is titled "Food in History"
> and is by Reay Tannahill most recent copyright is
> 1988.

This book is also reviewed in various places in the Florilegium. There
are several annotated bibliographies in the Florilegium as well. I
highly recommend taking a look at this file if you wondering about a
particular book about food:
cookbooks-bib     (44K)  2/15/04    Cookbook bib. by Mistress Jaelle of
Armida.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BOOKS/cookbooks-bib.html

This is one of the most comprehensive lists of SCA oriented cookbooks I
know and she annotates each entry so you can avoid some of the duds.
For those that get mixed reviews, using the Florilegium search engine
can also be of use. Many of us consider Fabulous Feasts for instance,
to be an awful resource for recipes, but consider the early, text
portion of the book to be good. Others don't like it at all. Using the
search engine is one way to find an assortment of viewpoints.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com