[Sca-cooks] Pork Fruitcake - Is This a Joke?

Tara Sersen Boroson tara at kolaviv.com
Mon Apr 11 12:56:04 PDT 2005

I don't know about that... the total volume of substance in these loaves
will be significant and the loaves will be very dense.  The pork in the
very center may or may not end up cooked sufficiently.  Yes, it's only 6
oz. of pork per loaf.  But, if four of those ounces are in a portion of
the loaf that doesn't reach a safe temperature, you've got trouble.

That said, I've been experimenting with roasting chickens at low temps
for long times, on the advice of the farm where I buy them.  I put one
in last week at 200 degrees and expected it to take about 6-7 hours.  I
checked the temp at 6 hours, and it was 203 degrees and the chicken just
fell apart.  I think 5 hours would have been sufficient, and next time
I'll remember to put my electronic thermometer in at the start of the
process ;)

So, two hours at 275 degrees may well be plenty of time.  There is only
one way to find out - make it and keep tabs on the internal temperature!

-Magdalena vander Brugghe

--
Tara Sersen Boroson

'Normal' is getting dressed in clothes that you buy for work, driving through traffic in a car you are still paying for, in order to get to the job that you need so you can pay for the clothes, car, and the house that you leave empty all day in order to afford to live in it. -Ellen Goodman

[T]o admit authorities, however heavily furred and gowned, into our libraries and let them tell us how to read, what to read, what value to place upon what we read, is to destroy the spirit of freedom which is the breath of those sanctuaries. -Virginia Woolf