[Sca-cooks] Clay-Pot Chicken [Was: Re: Pork Fruitcake - Is This a Joke?]

Martin G. Diehl mdiehl at nac.net
Mon Apr 11 15:36:32 PDT 2005

Tara Sersen Boroson wrote:

[snip]

> That said, I've been experimenting with roasting chickens
> at low temps for long times, on the advice of the farm
> where I buy them.  I put one in last week at 200 degrees
> and expected it to take about 6-7 hours.  I checked the
> temp at 6 hours, and it was 203 degrees and the chicken
> just fell apart.

I remember doing clay pot cooking and seeing the chicken
done to perfection, moist and falling apart.

That was with the oven set to 480 for 80 minutes ... but
I had no way of telling how hot it was inside the clay pot.

Remember that type of cooking starts with an unglazed clay
pot soaked in water; generally the ingredients all go in
together; don't preheat the oven; cook for the specified
time; use heavy gloves to move the pot from the oven to a
safe non metallic surface.

Here's an example recipe ...

"Roast Chicken with Brown Rice Stuffing" serves 4-6

1           roasting chicken (4~5 lbs)
  3/4 cup   sherry
1 3/4 cups  chicken stock
1     cup   raw brown rice
2 tbsp      butter
            Arrowroot

STUFFING:

1/3 cup pine nuts
1/3 cup dried currants
3       chicken livers, diced
6 large shallots, chopped fine
1 small onion, diced
1 tsp   dried sage (or 8 chopped leaves fresh sage)
1/4 tsp dried rosemary (or 1/2 tsp fresh chopped rosemary)
2 tbsp  fresh chopped parsley
2 tsp   salt
1/4 tsp fresh ground pepper

Marinate whole roasting chicken in 1/2 cup sherry for
3~4 hours, turn often.

Bring chicken stock to boil in saucepan, add rice and
butter, cove, simmer for 20 minutes (the rice will not
be done).

Presoak clay pot top and bottom in water for 15 minutes.

In large mixing bowl combine the stuffing.

Add the rice and whatever liquid was not absorbed and
1/4 cup sherry.

Remove chicken from marinade.  Rub insides lightly with
salt. Stuff with the dressing, sew up the openings, and
truss the chicken.

Rub the outside of bird with butter and lightly salt.

Place chicken into presoaked pot and and add remaining
sherry marinade.

Cover and place into cold oven.

Set temperature to 480 degrees.

Cook 80 minutes.

Test for doneness by wiggling a leg -- if it moves freely,
it's almost done.

Baste the chicken and return to oven without the top to
brown for 10 minutes.  Watch carefully and baste frequently.

Pour sauce into heated pan, adjust seasonings if necessary,
bring to a boil, and thicken with arrowroot. Serve sauce as
a side dish.

[snip]

> -Magdalena vander Brugghe

[snip]

> >Alexa
> >
> >--- Elise Fleming <alysk at ix.netcom.com> wrote:
[snip]

> --
> Tara Sersen Boroson
>
> 'Normal' is getting dressed in clothes that you buy
> for work, driving through traffic in a car you are still
> paying for, in order to get to the job that you need so
> you can pay for the clothes, car, and the house that you
> leave empty all day in order to afford to live in it.
> --Ellen Goodman

LOL

Vincenzo

--
Martin G. Diehl

So much wisdom and knowledge -- so little time and bandwidth.
--Vincenzo

Visit my online gallery: Renderosity, a 3D Artist's Community
http://www.renderosity.com/gallery.ez?ByArtist=Yes&Artist=MGD