[Sca-cooks] Aging of meat

Laura C. Minnick lcm at jeffnet.org
Wed Apr 13 05:44:42 PDT 2005

At 05:32 AM 4/13/2005, you wrote:
>Shhhh!  If word of that got out we'd have people asserting that
>cannibalism was common practice in Western Europe during the Middle Ages,
>and that plethora of recipes to cover the bad smell of rotten meat was
>specifically written for the cannibals.
>
>Mordonna

It is interesting to note the propaganda that went out during the Crusades
on the subject. The Christians said the Saracens did it, the Saracens said
the Christians did it. There may have a actually been scattered cases on
both sides, but as you note, it foes not appear to have been a common
practice. (And cases of kuru seem do be largely limited to New Guinea,
spices or no spices.)

'Lainie