[Sca-cooks] Rotten meat and spices...

Speaker To Idiots pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com
Thu Apr 14 06:38:15 PDT 2005

> What I was trying to suggest is that perhaps the violent illness caused by
> eating rotten food would make you not want to eat whatever had been in your
> stomach when you were sick, ever again.  After the tequila incident, I
> couldn't eat chicken teriyaki (entirely blameless), because it was involved
> with my being so sick.  On the other hand, perhaps I suffer from an 'excess
> of sensibility,' as the Regency writers put it, and have the luxury of being
> fussy.

This appears to be a common biological reaction. I couldn't eat sesame
beef for years, my sister still can't handle the smell of butterscotch. If
a food item makes you violently sick, your brain associates the sickness
with the last thing you ate (whether or not it's right) to keep you from
accidentally having the same problem again.

Can't remember where I read it, though. I'd have to do some extensive
searching to find it.

> In regards to mold, I have been told that white or green mold is OK, but
> yellow ir red mold is bad.  I have not attempted any scientific experiments
> to verify this.
>
> Nancy Kiel

Well, there are the blue, green, and white cultures in cheese that people
consume without ill effects, so there's at least one kind of mold out
there that won't make you sick.

Margaret FitzWilliam (still doing Java)