[Sca-cooks] Proclaimation vs. regulation?

Laura C. Minnick lcm at jeffnet.org
Tue Apr 19 21:57:19 PDT 2005

At 09:39 PM 4/19/2005, you wrote:

>>It's a regulation, not a proclaimation, and the prevelance of the act
>>can't
>>be determined from the exsistence of the regulation (you need the
>>records of the court to determine whether it was prevelant or not).
>
>Okay, I've never studied jurisprudence, so some of these terms are new to
>me. I'm not wanting to rehash or restart this previous thread, but I have
>question.
>
>What is the difference, in at least the medieval sense, between a
>regulation and a proclaimation?
>
>One is issued by the parliament or the Royalty and the other by other,
>perhaps non-governmental, bodies? Or one is issued by an elected body and
>the other by an appointed one?

Hmm. Well, you could do a thumbnail explanation this way, using an SCA
scenario for the frame: a 'Proclamation' is when the Crown declares that
chocolate is period. A regulation is when the site owner says No Food In
The Ballroom (chocolate or not!).

Proclamations only have force during the tenure of the proclaimer-
regulation lasts until rescinded, which can be during that tenure, or 300
years afterward. And regulations are generally (but not exclusively) made
by a deliberative body, which can imply a degree of thought has gone into
it. (However, when looking at US Congress, all bets are off!)

'Lainie