[Sca-cooks] deer and turkeys

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Apr 19 22:33:35 PDT 2005

Ysabeau replied to me with:
> > But some folks seem to be a bit uneasy about allowing hunting
> > in the suburbs. And others didn't like the ...
>
> There are areas near where I live where the deer are a major
> menace. This topic is hotly debated and no real solution has
> presented itself. Personally, I would rather see the deer trapped
> and slaughtered (hunting with guns or bows in a populated area is
> just dangerous and asking for trouble, IMO)with the meat either
> donated to a soup kitchen or sold to people who like venison.

Oops. I really should have put a ":-)" after that sentence about
allowing hunting in the suburbs. I really wasn't being serious with
that one. But on the other hand, not doing something to control the
deer numbers does no one any good, including the deer.

I happen to like venison but since it can't be sold, at least from the
local deer species, I only occasionally get some when someone donates
some for an SCA feast. I understand the concern about turning the
hunting into a commercial activity, other than the millions of dollars
spent by the hunters, but it would be nice if it could be legal bought.
And allowing the purchase of imported or raised deer, only solves the
availability problem and does nothing to control the overpopulation of
deer.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas