[Sca-cooks] cooking grains in beer

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 20 03:52:00 PDT 2005

No, Tyr sings in Old Faroese, not Old Frisian.

http://www.tyr.net/videors.asp?Cmd=9&ID=55

Frisia (or more commonly "Friesland") is a region along the southeastern coasts of the North Sea.
Frisia extends from the northeastern Netherlands across northern Germany to southwestern Denmark.
Western Frisia is roughly identical with the Dutch province of Friesland, the northern part of
North Holland province (called Westfriesland (see also West-Friesland wich is a province of
Westfriesland) and also modern Groningen province, though the Western Frisian language is only
spoken in Fryslân proper. In Groningen and Westfriesland, dialects with strong Frisian substrates
are spoken (Low Saxon and Low Franconian dialect variants, respectively).

Eastern Frisia (East Frisia, Eastern Friesland) (German Ostfriesland) includes areas located in
the northwest of the German state of Lower Saxony, including the districts of Aurich, Leer,
Wittmund and Friesland, as well as the district-free cities of Emden and Wilhelmshaven/Rüstringen.

The portions of Frisia within the state of Schleswig-Holstein are called Nordfriesland and stretch
along the coast, and including also the coastal islands from the River Eider to the border of
Denmark in the north. It is coterminous with the Schleswig-Holstein district of the same name. The
island of Helgoland (English 'Helligoland' and North Frisian 'Lun'), is also part of traditional
'Northern Frisia'.

The West Frisian Islands, the East Frisian Islands and previously noted North Frisian Islands
stretch along the entirety of the Frisian coast.

A half million Frisians of Fryslân (or Friesland) province in the Netherlands speak the Frisian
language. Several thousand more Frisian language speakers, speaking a collection of dialects often
unintelligible with each other and certainly unintelligible with forms spoken beyond
Nordfriesland, are to be found in Nordfriesland in Germany, while a small number of speakers of
the Sater-Frisian language are located in four villages of Lower Saxony in the Saterland region of
Cloppenburg county, just beyond the boundaries of traditional East Frisia.

Also, if you have ever watched the movie, "Ladyhawk", the horse that Rutger Hauer rides is
a Frisian.

Huette

--- "Laura C. Minnick" <lcm at jeffnet.org> wrote:
> At 09:28 PM 4/19/2005, you wrote:
>
> >Also, as I'm not that familiar with European regions, where is "Frisia"?
>
> It's kind of in that notch between Germany and the Netherlands, below
> Denmark. Remember that Viking rock video that came out a few months back?
> That was Old Frisian that they were singing in.
>
> It would appear that I have Frisian ancestors- one branch of the family
> line goes back through the 'Friesen' surname- and it's cognate.
>
> (I should find that video and watch it again- it was way cool!)
>
> 'Lainie

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves for
they shall never cease to be amused.