Subject: [Sca-cooks] Italian Fried Custards?

Heather Musinski rachaol at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 5 06:03:06 PDT 2005

Maggie,

    I peeked into the Libro Novo to see and the only recipe that seemed close follows.

57D   TO MAKE FRITTERS WITH ELDERBERRY FLOWERS FOR SIX PLATTERS

   Take 4 ounces of flour, three blocks of fresh ricotta cheese or a pound of fresh cheese, and a half pound of grated hard cheese, and enough yeast as half an egg, and grind everything well in the mortar. And put six beaten eggs with them, and a glassful (app 7 fl oz) of milk, and 3 ounces of rose water, and mix everything well together. And if it appears that the named mixture is too hard, you shall measure a small amount of milk enough to be good, and 3 ounces of raisins, and in the summer you shall put an ounce of elder flowers to grind with them. And then with a tablespoon make your fritters, large or small to what you want. Then you shall cook them in sieved fat or butter, or 3 pounds of oil. And when they are cooked and ready for the banquet you shall put over them 4 ounces of grated sugar.

I don't have the original Italian with me, and it is going to say Fritelle di "elderflower" whatever the word is in Italian. Since it uses so much ricotta s seems reasonable choice. I would suggest using a mild or young hard cheese, not parmesan. I don't think Messisbugo, intends that the cheese be hard meaning actual texture, but hard meaning the process of making a hard cheese. (That's my theory, because I think parmesan, or a strongly flavored, hard texture cheese will ruin the flavor whether you have modern taste buds or Rennaisance Italian tastebuds.)

Anyway, you may want to give it a go! And if it works out e-mail me (rachaol at yahoo.com) I'll be at Pennsic starting Saturday, and I don't want to miss your comments if you test this one!

Rachaol

Message: 10