[Sca-cooks] fountains

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu Aug 25 23:19:36 PDT 2005

Capt. Elias commented:
> > So, how would one go about making a "fountain" without a
> > post-Renaissance electric fountain kit?  I'm thinking, an adjoining
> > reservoir set on a shelf just above the level of the output spout.
> > Fluid goes in the reservoir and out the spout.  Refill as necessary,
> > isn't that what servants are for?
>
> Heck, My dear!
> The common pump is plainly and documentably period.

Yep. Remember the info I posted recently on the 16th century air
mattress? At one corner of this is a built in pump to pump up the
mattress.

> Also could use a bladder to hold the reservoir of liquid
> and applied pressure to it. In fact, Coopers sells bota's that could
> easily have served in this capacity.

I believe the modern bota's usually have a plastic bag or liner in
them. I think all of the ones I've seen also use a plastic screw-
threaded lid.

Now for anyone thinking of doing this for an A&S project, perhaps
they would like to make the bladder out of a real bladder.

lea-bladders-msg  (15K)  8/ 3/98    Tanning, cleaning, dressing
animal bladders.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/CRAFTS/lea-bladders-msg.html

Stefan
--------