[Sca-cooks] left over rice (was rice pudding)

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Tue Aug 2 19:44:02 PDT 2005

Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...

> >Christianna
> who usually ends up using left over Chinese take-out rice as the basis for
rice pudding

> 'Round here it usually winds up as a "white girl" version of Spanish rice,
with lots of ground beef, onions, corn, olives, sometimes raisins, a bit of
tomato paste, salt, black pepper, garlic and a couple of packages of mild
taco sauce from Taco Bell and a bit of beef boullion in lieu of the salt.
<snip>

I guess I must have been Asian in another life- I have NO problem finding
things to do with leftover rice, and in fact often have to make up a batch
if I get a taste for something that normally uses up leftover rice,

Lessee- I'll nuke it and add various flavorings, if I don't want it plain-
butter and curry powder, chopped onion, or possibly plain with 50/50 soy
sauce and vinegar, as I was taught by a Filipino lady.

Or, I'll make up a batch of fried rice or a Spanish rice.

Or I'll mix rice with left over mashed potatoes, an egg, and the spices I'm
in the mood for, and fry up rice/potato cakes. Or just rice cakes.

I've made it up like mac and cheese, using rice for the macaroni.

Or, I'll open a can of sardines (in oil, hot sauce, or mustard sauce) and
plop them on top of heated rice.

Or, leftover rice might inspire me to make up a Southern favorite- Red Beans
(or black beans, or whatever beans I grab first) and rice.

Rice is great stuff, folks, easy to cook, and goes with almost anything ;-)

Saint Phlip,
CoD

 Blacksmith's credo.

cat.