[Sca-cooks] rice pudding

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Wed Aug 3 04:41:03 PDT 2005

On Aug 3, 2005, at 4:07 AM, Volker Bach wrote:

> Am Mittwoch, 3. August 2005 02:27 schrieb Huette von Ahrens:
>
>> Are we talking an actual sweet rice pudding here?  Or are we talking
>> blancmange? Because I am having a hard time imagining an sweet
>> rice pudding
>> served hot ...
>>

> Well, it's not quite the same thing as rice pudding, but here we
> traditionally
> serve 'milk rice' boiled to a mush with lemon rind and sugar,
> sprinkled with
> sugar and cinnamon or a fruit compote. Piping hot.
>
> Giano

Richard Thorne, in "Pot On The Fire," (or is it Pot Au Feu; I
forget), has, IIRC, a chapter devoted to an Italian milk rice which
is somewhere in between a breakfast porridge and risotto. I don't
remember it being sweetened, though. But grain dishes cooked in milk
seem to be pretty old and found almost anywhere milk is consumed, I
suspect.

Actually, thinking about the differences between the modern American
rice pudding (which seems to be pretty close or identical to modern
English rice pudding), it's probably not that different from late
period versions under the same name: rice with cream, eggs, spices
and a maybe a little sugar. It can be boiled, or baked with the
custard-ey ingredients, or even packed into sausage casings. The main
difference is that it may have gotten softer and sweeter over the years.

Which is interesting, since by contrast, what blancmanger has lost
over the years is both the chicken/capon component  _and_ the rice.

Adamantius

eat cake!"
"Confessions", 1782

Holt, 07/29/04