[Sca-cooks] Re: allergies vs. sensitivities

Tara Sersen Boroson tara at kolaviv.com
Sat Aug 6 06:37:43 PDT 2005

Stefan, an allergy is a reaction moderated by immunoglobulin E, IgE.
When an offending protein is detected, the body initially sends IgE to
battle it.  IgE binds to mast cells and causes them to release
histamine.  Histimine causes swelling of tissues.  That's why one of the
first reactions is swollen skin reactions like hives.  It also causes
swelling of organs such as the lungs.  The reaction is often quick and
vicious, and can result in death *very* quickly.  After sending in the
IgE troops, the immune system sends other immunoglobulins, IgA, IgD,
etc. to bind the actual proteins.

A sensitivity can also be moderated by the immune system, such as in
celiac disease where gluten (a class of proteins in grains) causes an
IgA response.  Immune responses other that IgE are not histemic - they
only attack the offending protein directly.  IgE is the only one that
goes after the mast cells.  Although that's less immediately deadly, the
immune response still has a lot of ugly aspects.  That hyperactive
immune system will often attack other bodily systems.  In the case of
celiac, it attacks the lining of the gut, severely damaging the cilia
and causing them to stop absorbing food.  It can also trigger other
immune responses - these autoimmune disorders often cascade.  Celiac is
closely related to hypothyroidism, such as hashimoto's disease, where
the immune system starts attacking the thyroid.

Not all sensitivities are immune driven.  Lactose intolerance, which
affects almost all african americans, a huge percentage of asians, and a
goodly percentage of caucasians, is only digestive.  It ranges from,
like me, a mild sensitivity where if I eat two slices of pizza and an
ice cream cone after having had milk for breakfast... I might have a
reaction, on up to my cousin who has to take LactAid in order to handle
a teaspoon of half-and-half in his coffee, and further, to a friend from
my husband's work who can't handle any dairy at all even with LactAid.

True allergies are really scary, because they can result in death very,
very quickly and are often sensitive to extremely small amounts of the
offending protein.  Children have had reactions to peanut proteins
because they touched a place on a lunch table where another child had
had some M&Ms in the previous lunch period (M&Ms have peanut oil in
their shells).  Sensitivities can also be severe.  A friend's mother,
who has celiac, can wind up in bed (or rather, on the toilet,) for
literally days if she is served a salad that had the croutons picked out
instead of having a salad made for her fresh with no croutons at all.
The reaction can be fairly swift.  However, while celiac can be deadly
if unmanaged in the long run (people have died from malnutrition because
their guts were unable to absorb any nutrition from their food due to
severe damage from gluten,) it's not going to cause an anaphalytic
reaction and death within minutes.

Peanut allergies and the like scare the shit out of me.  Knowing how
truely deadly they are, and how contact sensitive and airborn particle
sensitive many children and adults are, it makes me nervous even though
I know I can prepare food under extremely tight scrutiny.  My older
daughter smears food all over the house - peanut butter, cheese,
scrambled egg.  Our sunblock has tree nut oils in it.  (Our previous
brand also had peanut oil.)

Sensitivities I take very, very seriously... but they don't frighten
me.  While some celiac people are contact sensitive (they will react to
glutens in cosmetics, for example,) the contact sensitivities aren't
usually as severe.  They may react from kissing someone wearing lipstick
with gluten (and, yes, people do react to that,) but they're not likely
to react from touching a table where someone else had recently eaten a
sandwich.  And if they do react, the result will be uncomfortable and
maybe even very painful, but won't be deadly.  I would be horrified if I
slipped up and accidentally caused someone pain due to a sensitivity.
But, it doesn't frighten me because I know I'm not running the risk of
killing that person.  I prepare food for people with food sensitivities
all the time (particularly celiac disease, which is why I've used it as
an example so much,) and am comfortable with my knowledge of ingredients
and food handling methods.

-Magdalena vander Brugghe
who's actually making it to Pennsic this year - with girlies in tow!

--
Tara Sersen Boroson

'Normal' is getting dressed in clothes that you buy for work, driving through traffic in a car you are still paying for, in order to get to the job that you need so you can pay for the clothes, car, and the house that you leave empty all day in order to afford to live in it. -Ellen Goodman

[T]o admit authorities, however heavily furred and gowned, into our libraries and let them tell us how to read, what to read, what value to place upon what we read, is to destroy the spirit of freedom which is the breath of those sanctuaries. -Virginia Woolf