[Sca-cooks] Pork issues

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Mon Aug 8 15:47:56 PDT 2005

caointiarn wrote:

>>how does  everyone out there handle this type of situation for feasts??
>>

>We feel that  sometimes they hold us "hostage" and refuse to attend feast if
>pork is  served...
>

>>Curious, thanks -
>>Gab
>>

>    Depends on how many meat dishes are being served.   If Pork is going to
>be the only meat dish,  they can be told "there is off-board" or  "we will
>miss you."   I like pork, and have cooked feasts with it, along with people
>who don't  eat pork.  I usually have a 2nd or 3rd meat dish, so they
>shouldn't go away hungry.  When I had Royal guests {unexpectedly} who don't
>eat pork,  I told them what had pork in it, and made sure when the "mixed"
>meat platter when out, they were given a whole roasted chicken platter.
>
>You didn't say how many "they" were  -- if it's half your group, you may
>want to compromise.
>
>Caointiarn

Yeah, but she says that the person can't even abide the smell of pork.
In that case, if your plan includes pork, I'd let the person know and
advise them to eat away from the dining room.  I understand the desire
to help those who are allergic, etc., but you can't rework an entire
feast plan just because of one person...if it's a Royal and I know in
advance, I'll try to advoid serving pork as their presence is part of
the ceremonial aspects of a feast...but otherwise, sorry.  It's not that
I cater to the Royals because they are Royal, but rather that they play
an important role in the feast.

Kiri