[Sca-cooks] allergies vs. sensitivities

Nick Sasso grizly at mindspring.com
Mon Aug 8 20:54:46 PDT 2005

-----Original Message-----
From: sca-cooks-bounces+franiccolo=mindspring.com at ansteorra.org
[mailto:sca-cooks-bounces+franiccolo=mindspring.com at ansteorra.org]OnBehalf
Of Jill Brown
Sent: Monday, August 08, 2005 3:05 PM
To: sca-cooks at ansteorra.org
Subject: Re: [Sca-cooks] allergies vs. sensitivities

Thank you everyone for your comments...
We do believe in paying attention to allergies, etc...and cooking for
vegetarians, etc...allowing for items they can eat, or other items...but we
have an issue w/one person who can't even be around the smell of pork, and
frankly people are getting tired of it. <<SNIP>>
and was just curious how other groups handled this situation.
Again, thank you.

Informed consent and personal responsibility for one's own limitations is a
wonderful thing.  In our neck of Meridies, we pride ourselves on menus
absolutely rife with variety and ample notification to people whom to
contact with concerns.  With so awful many issues (allergies, religious
dictates, diabetes, celiac, lactose intolerance, personal ethics and tastes)
at play in serving 200+ diners, I and those I cook with do what we can to
provide a diverse menu and let people who have issues decide if it is worth
their money and time to partake in THIS PARTICULAR feast.  If not, then
hopefully the next cook can meet their needs better.

If someone is moved to call me about some dietary issue and wants to dine on
my menu, then I will make what arrangements are at all practical given the
fact I am serving many others.  If there is no way to meet that person's
needs, then I honestly let them know that I cannot and let them have time to
make other arrangements.  I make my very best effort as that is my personal
ethic, then leave the matter to the individual to decide.

pacem et bonum,

niccolo difrancesco