[Sca-cooks] Pork issues

Cat Dancer pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com
Tue Aug 9 06:28:53 PDT 2005

>> how does  everyone out there handle this type of situation for feasts??
> We feel that  sometimes they hold us "hostage" and refuse to attend feast if
> pork is  served...
>> Curious, thanks -
>> Gab
>
>    Depends on how many meat dishes are being served.   If Pork is going to
> be the only meat dish,  they can be told "there is off-board" or  "we will
> miss you."   I like pork, and have cooked feasts with it, along with people
> who don't  eat pork.  I usually have a 2nd or 3rd meat dish, so they
> shouldn't go away hungry.  When I had Royal guests {unexpectedly} who don't
> eat pork,  I told them what had pork in it, and made sure when the "mixed"
> meat platter when out, they were given a whole roasted chicken platter.
>
> You didn't say how many "they" were  -- if it's half your group, you may
> want to compromise.
>
> Caointiarn

I think it's only the one person. In which case, if they're not royalty,
tell them "I'm serving X, Y, and Cormarye, and we'll miss you. Don't let
the door hit you on the behind on the way out."

I gave up on the fish course for my 12th Night feast because the lady who
was Princess at the time is highly allergic to fish (throat closes up,
that sort of fun) but if someone came up to me and demanded that I not
serve pork (or cabbage, or whatever) because they "couldn't abide the
smell" then I would graciously invite them to go have their meal
elsewhere.

Behavior like what Gab describes is discourteous and rude, to start with,
not to mention childish and immature. There's no reason to tolerate it,
none at all.

Margaret FitzWilliam