[Sca-cooks] Olwen's Thank you note - was Pictures

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 26 12:53:54 PDT 2005

I know several of you already got the link to the pictures from others, but
it is here also in case you missed it.
----------------------->>

You asked for them, you get them.

But first, I must thank all who conspired on this honor.

As I sit and look upon the medallion that Master Chirhart wore for 22 years
before honoring me with it, I see the faces, hands, and names of so many of
you in each of it's leaves.

The happy hands that sat at task working on some wild project or other for
an event or a spoof, Frejdis, Alainne, Hans, Ro, so many who ended up
dubbing me "Tom Sawyer" as I would come to them with a sheepish grin and a
big project.

The members of our own Bright Hills Cooks Guild, who have dreamed up (or
kept suggesting till I got a "vision") some of the most beautiful, craziest,
silliest, and down-right insane solties (to be produced by not only me, but
the afore-mentioned, and others who may have wandered by).  Without your
prodding and goading I would have probably stopped long ago (but I hate ugly
food and plating!).

Master Tristan, who, while he was Baron, we kept telling to "just ask" and
he would receive.  Unfortunately for me, he "just asked" for marzipan
renditions of the Arms of the Known World Kingdoms as a Pennsic gift from
our Barony.  (Some times, it's not just "careful what you wish for" it can
also be "careful what you tell others to wish for...").  Fortunately, I had
lots of happy hands (see above) to lighten the load and make lighter the
task.

A whole lot of the folks on the SCA Cooks list who kept cheering me on, or
goading me, or asked for advice or requested items or simply believed in me.

So many others in the Known World who I may have never met, nor ever will,
who thought my talents and passions worthy of this elevation.  To the Order
of the Laurel, Thank You.

And lest it be said I forgot, I send a special Thank You to Master Chirhart
and Mistress (Baroness! finally) Jeanne and all the rest of my apprentice
and house-hold brothers and sisters for everything from simply tolerating me
at times, to guiding me, working with me, encouraging me, and not standing
on my foot (or standing on it so I wouldn't do something stupid!).  Without
family, well......  I love you all.  Thanks for the boot up and all your
love.

...Now, on to the thanks for those in the photos!

Lord Denis, who graciously gave up use of his pavilion so it could be placed
for my vigil, along with his and other hearty hands that put it up, took it
back down and put it back up for his own use.

Lady Martelle and her mum who agreed to make the cloak for me and had only
days in which to do it!

Lady Lucrezia who tricked me into being a “body double” for clothing
patterns for Mistress Jeanne so she could secretly get the measurements to
make my white vigil dress (on site, right in front of me!).  She did
actually make Mistress Jeanne’s Court garb for later in the week when she
was called up and bestowed a Court Baroness, but she tricked her the same
way!  Ah, household.  Never stop loving them, but always wonder what they
are smiling about…

Lord Gustave and Lady Martelle who stood guard for me (to make sure I didn't
run.  Also to "smell" visitors to make sure they didn't give me an asthma
attack).

To my wonderful, cheery daughter and friend, Frejdis who made her way to
Pennsic to cheer for me and then ran up and down Runestone Hill with
dizzying rapidity fetching one thing and another for me.  You are my heart
and my pride.

King Robert and Queen Denise of Atlantia spoke and bestowed the elevation.
This was done on the Laurel's Prize Tourney field.

Duke Gerhard(sp?) of Drachenwald spoke for the Knights (he had to re-arrange
lot's of schedules to do this, and I remain honored).

Mistress Kiri, of this list, spoke for the Pelicans, to which I am honored
and grateful.

Master Chirhart spoke for the Laurels and had to take my green belt from me,
at which time we both cried and shared a hanky (not pictured).

And was I surprised to find King Eduard of Atenveldt speaking and gifting me
with a beautifully cast Laurel medallion (the maker of which gave me one of
the first hugs and I must find her so I may recall her name and give a more
proper thank you).

Then King Cornelius of Lochac stepped up and spoke to me, took a dagger from
his belt and cut off a "SF" from his own mantel and presented me with it.

I was most humbled when yet another, King Tarrach of Northshield, stood and
spoke to me, giving me his words of encouragement and welcome to the Order.

After much hugging and tears they tossed us off the fighting field so they
could continue the Tourney.  I don't know who won.  I think it was me.

(nesting in on) Dame Olwen