[Sca-cooks] Canton ginger?

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Sat Aug 27 09:45:23 PDT 2005

The Herb Society of America lists ginger this way:
Genus: Zingiber
Specific Epithet: officinale
Common Names: ginger, garden ginger, common ginger, Canton ginger
Family: Zingiberaceae (ginger)

That seems to indicate that it's just another name for
ginger.

Did not find it in Bruce Cost's Ginger East to West.
I am wondering if it's not an American term as
Canton ginger is also used in the edition of
The Boston Cooking School Cook Book
from 1918.
(online at http://www.bartleby.com/br/87.html)
I am wondering if this was the ginger that was purchased in the
Blue Canton ginger jars.

I'll keep looking.

Johnnae