[Sca-cooks] Re: Sca-cooks Digest, Vol 31, Issue 7

CLdyroz at aol.com CLdyroz at aol.com
Sun Dec 4 20:37:46 PST 2005

In a message dated 12/02/2005 6:00:54 PM Central Standard Time,
sca-cooks-request at ansteorra.org writes:

> I'm afraid my cold weather comfort food seems awfully plebian in this
> company.

Not here!

> Good old Campbell's Tomato Soup and grilled cheese sandwiches.  Best
> on a night of thunderstorms and blowing winds.

You are a man after my own heart-but do not forget to follow it up with nice
warm egg custard pie, fresh from the oven.

> (Yes, I really am from the South).  Of course, then there's fried egg
> samwiches (has to be pronounced that way, per my father), sometimes
> with fried bologna (not in my house) or ham stuck in the middle.

No bologna (shudder), but ham or bacon would be doable. I prefer mine with
just butter on the toasted bread with the fluffy scrambled eggs.

> Cornbread (with a -little- sugar) -- lots of butter.

Sacrilege and here I thought you were doing so well!

> several loaves of homemade "Jared" bread (my own cobbled-together
> recipe) and leave them on the stove to rise, then the baking smell
> FILLS the house.

That, with fried chicken, rice and gravy and green beans, and my Grandfather
is in heaven-that is his favorite meal!

> Chicken and dumplings!  Yum! -- that's probably my closest to the
> "throw it in the pot to simmer" favorite

Oh, yes!  This is welcome, regardless of the weather, at our house!

> (Why in heaven's name do I find myself thinking of Nannie's black-
> eyes peas and hamhocks?  Probably because she always served fresh
> cornbread with it.)

Because that is another Southern Comfort food, along with Pinto Beans and
hamhocks, (and cornbread), Turnip Greens, Collard Greens, and anything that can
be served with a nice thick gravy.

> Fresh, homemade chocolate chip cookies.

Jared, you are NOT helping my diet...(my spiced oatmeal cookies are good,
too).

A good Cold Weather dish from this house is corned Sausage casserole. This
was a