[Sca-cooks] Uses for fava beans....

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Sun Dec 4 23:39:56 PST 2005

There are several tasty but simple recipes in "The Book of the
Description of Familiar Foods", a 14th c. manuscript that includes
all of al-Baghdadi, the recipes from the "expanded version" of
al-Baghdadi, and many new ones.

I cooked the ones that are in the chapter that has recipes "for monks
and Christians in Lent" in Spring of this year - even won a Wooden
Spoon competition (well, ok, tied with a cooking Laurel, so we both
got spoons).

I posted to this list the layered dish in which i used fresh favas -
it would be different with dried, but still edible - Maghmuma, i
think was the name - i'll look it out in the morning. This was
somewhat complicated. The ingredients (all vegetables) are cut up and
layered in the cooking pot separately, each layer is sprinkled with
spices as it's added, then when they're all in the pot, the liquids
are poured in, and it's cooked without stirring...

I'm not sure if i posted the other recipes. I'll look for them in the
AM too. I used canned favas where were "reconstituted" dried ones.
The resultant dishes were simple, filling, and satisfying for a cold
evening. The recipes included bread, vinegar, and murri (ok, sounds
drab, but i really liked it).

Light soy sauce is a very acceptable substitute according to Charles
Perry who made murri from scratch - moldy damp barley loaves - etc. I
finally got to read his articles about the process that were in the
LA Times, minus the photos of the loaves, alas - they had *names* -
including Spot, Whiskers, Skinhead, and Pigpen... anyway, the final
product tasted a lot like a somewhat less "rich" soy sauce. Some
Asian soy sauces are about 50 per cent grain, and those - or lesser
varieties that use even more grain - would be closer to murri than a
good aged tamari (yes, Virginia, tamari tastes significantly
different from the average Kikkoman, which is rather more watery)

Anyway, dried fava recipes in the morning... it's getting close to
time to toddle off to bed.
--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita