[Sca-cooks] Lebkuchen question

Cat . tgrcat2001 at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 9 14:32:42 PST 2005

Greetings again, from a Curious Gwen Cat

I feel I should know the answer to this, but dont, so:

What is the history of Lebkuchen, perhaps including
the origin of the name.  I know the period era
Lebkuchen/gingerbread is not like the modern cake like
version. So Im curious, where did it originate (either
the boiled honey version or other things) and where
when how did the more modern holiday treat emerge.
For that matter, when and where did the association
with the winter holidays come from since nowadays you
(or at least I) cant imagine December without
lebkuchen herzen and domino stones and all those other
chocolate/gingerbread treats that threaten my recently
schrunken waistline.

In Service and Curiosity
Gwen Cat