[Sca-cooks] Winter comfort food...

Michael Gunter countgunthar at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 2 08:36:59 PST 2005

>What are everyone's favorite dishes for this sort of weather? I don't mean
>the fancy holiday treats, or the quick-nuke in the micro sweet potatoes,
>but
>the slow-cooked, hearty stuff? I'm casting about for ideas.....
>--Maire, definitely in the mood for comfort food.....

If you have access to lamb, I love braised lamb shanks. Sear the lamb then
put in a crock pot or heavy cast iron pan. Cover with garlic, tomatoes, red
wine, bay leaf, onions, carrots, etc....let slow cook for three hours. Serve
over mashed potatoes or polenta.

Oxtail stew is nice.

Chicken and dumplings.

Chili Pie. Your favorite chili topped with cheddar cheese and then topped
with
cornbread batter. Bake.

Bake an apple pie. Nothing makes a house feel warmer and cozier than the
smell of an apple pie baking.

Texas is cool but no snow. sniff!

Gunthar