[Sca-cooks] macaroni and cheese

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu Dec 8 23:29:27 PST 2005

Kiri replied to me with her macaroni and cheese casserole:

As this is a "hand-me-down" from my mother, I don't have any
quantities, but here's how it's made:
<<<

Okay, I can probably do this without exact measurements.  The sharp
cheese sounds good, but being me, I'm already wondering about
throwing in some blue cheese or feta.

Boil macaroni until it is al dente.
<<<

Not that I'm all that sure about exactly what the "al dente" stage is
like, but what other stages of doneness are there for pasta?

Spray a casserole with Pam or
some other butter-flavored (or veggie-oil flavored) spray.
<<<

Is there an advantage to using the commercial cooking oil sprays over
say, olive oil, for baking? Do they cause less sticking? Or is it
just a convenience thing? For the last few years I have tried to use
olive oil instead of most other vegetable oils. Can I just wipe the
inside of the baking dish with olive oil? I do have an oil sprayer
for olive oil, though.

Will macaroni and cheese freeze well? If so, then I could make a big
batch and freeze most of it and then just thaw out sections as
desired and microwave them. It might also work for taking to work for
lunch that way and nuking it there. And especially considering the
carbs, if I can freeze it, I won't be in the situation of eat it all
in a few days or lose it to spoilage.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas