[Sca-cooks] macaroni and cheese

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Fri Dec 9 04:51:46 PST 2005

Stefan li Rous wrote:

> Okay, I can probably do this without exact measurements.  The sharp
> cheese sounds good, but being me, I'm already wondering about
> throwing in some blue cheese or feta.

Maybe I'm just not imaginative, but whenever I make this, I usually
stick with the cheddar...blue or feta would be very different...and
being the sentimental slob that I am, it reminds me of my mother and
childhood made this way.

> Not that I'm all that sure about exactly what the "al dente" stage is
> like, but what other stages of doneness are there for pasta?

Not sure, but I know that folks usually cook the pasta a little "doner"
than I do for this dish.  The reason is that it does continue to cook a
bit after I put it in the oven...so don't want pasta mush!

> Is there an advantage to using the commercial cooking oil sprays over
> say, olive oil, for baking? Do they cause less sticking? Or is it
> just a convenience thing? For the last few years I have tried to use
> olive oil instead of most other vegetable oils. Can I just wipe the
> inside of the baking dish with olive oil? I do have an oil sprayer
> for olive oil, though.

Just a convenience.  I used to rub the pan with butter.  I wouldn't use
olive oil because it would interfere with the buttery flavor of the dish.

> Will macaroni and cheese freeze well? If so, then I could make a big
> batch and freeze most of it and then just thaw out sections as
> desired and microwave them. It might also work for taking to work for
> lunch that way and nuking it there. And especially considering the
> carbs, if I can freeze it, I won't be in the situation of eat it all
> in a few days or lose it to spoilage.

I'm not sure, having never done this.  We usually slice the leftovers
and fry them for breakfast.  However, I don't see why it wouldn't freeze ok.

Kiri