[Sca-cooks] It Sounds Like...

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 10 12:56:05 PST 2005

Well, I have been looking this up in the OED and found some interesting things:

First off "Bugger" is not an acceptable equivalent of the "F"
word.  It is a varient of it, meaning to "F" with a man or
to do it anally.  Interestingly the word "bugger" is a variant
of "Bulgar" and apparently goes back to the 11th century to a group of Bulgarian heretics who were
believed to do all sorts
of abominable practices.

Bogey [actually Bogy] is a variant of Boggle or boggard and
comes from the northern parts of England; i.e. Westmoreland, Lancashire, Cheshire, Yorkshire, and
the north midlands.
It means a spirit or a goblin.

Bogey is a golf term and so is Bogey Man.

Bogy/bogie/bogey as a piece of snot goes back to 1937 according
the OED.

But they don't list booger.  But Webster's does.

Bogey man is also the monster under the bed or in the closet.
But only in Webster's.

Boogie is a perjorative term for a black man.  Although how it
changed to boogie as in partying or boogie-woogie they don't
say, but I have a feeling it is connected.

Huette