[Sca-cooks] Re: chestnutter [was Roasting chestnuts]

Susan Fox selene at earthlink.net
Tue Dec 13 07:34:15 PST 2005

elisabetta at klotz.org wrote:

>> Am Montag, 12. Dezember 2005 18:36 schrieb Susan Fox:
>>
>>> Boo hisssssss!  Unitasker!
>>>
>>> Ok then, what other use would this utensil have, in or out of the
>>> kitchen?
>>

> Wow, I'm guessing that you never spent hours "x"ing chestnuts as a
> child and
> teenager.

Hardly ever touched one until adulthood.  My family was just not into
chestnuts I guess.  But I have too many kitchen gadgets and too little
storage space to invest in something that has only one use during a
limited time of the year.  The Dao of Alton Brown, obviously. <grin>
[Food TV guy, quite the teacher of kitchen science and craftsmanship,
who obviously has the same problem.]

Had Mel Torme, songwriter of "A Christmas Song," actually done a lot of
chestnut-roasting on an open fire in nearly chestnut-free Los Angeles?
 Hard to say.

Selene