[Sca-cooks] CHEESE!

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Thu Dec 15 12:07:33 PST 2005

> I have sheep's milk cheese (I can't tolerate cow's
> milk- I'm gluten-casein intolerant.) I have a potluck
> local revel Friday. Is there anything cheap and period
> that uses cheese but not milk or gluten-containing grains?

Armored turnips.
If you can't use butter, substitute Olive Oil.

Platina sez:
"Cut up turnips that have been either boiled or cooked under the ashes.
Likewise do the same with rich cheese, not too ripe. These should be
smaller morsels than the turnips, though. In a pan greased with butter
or liquamen, make a layer of cheese first, then a layer of turnips, and
so on, all  the while pouring in spice and some butter, from time to
time. This dish is quickly cooked and should be eaten quickly, too."

About 1.5 cheese of turnips to a pound of cheese.
Boil your turnips until they are fork-tender, then peel and slice less
than 1/3 of an inch thick.
Lay slices of cheese in the bottom of a baking dish. add a layer of
turnips. Dot on a little butter or a smidgen of oil. Sprinkle on spices
(cloves, mace, pepper, nutmeg, ginger all are good). Add another layer
of cheese, then turnips, etc. Finish with a layer of cheese.

Heat in the oven until cheese is melted and beginning to crisp.

Mundanes like it too. And you can make it in the microwave if you have
to-- yesterday for the library holiday party I found it takes about 15
minutes to cook a 14" oval casserole of armored turnips in the
microwave.

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"'In this world, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.' Well, for
years I was smart. I recommend pleasant." - _Harvey_, by Mary Chase