Bread machine- was Re: [Sca-cooks] Tableage

Susan Fox selene at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 15 13:28:39 PST 2005

marilyn traber 011221 wrote:

>Thanks, folks, for your responses. Since we're not dealing with either fancy
>garb, or particularly large people, it looks like my original idea, making a
>couple of trestle tables out of 4' X 8' sheets of plywood will work. Wanting
>rather utilitarian, rather than fancy.
>
>Next question. Margali's folks gave them a bread machine- Oster, does up to 2
>1/2 lbs, if that makes a difference. It's pretty nice, with several baking
>options. Unfortunately, the book for the machine vanished after a couple
>days, and I've been improvising with recipes I've found on line. We've found
>a good white bread, but when I eat bread, I want a wheat bread, preferably
>multi grain, that will be good for sandwiches. The breads we've been making
>have been good, but don't really have a consistancy that's good for a
>sandwich bread. Does anyone have a bread machine recipe that would give me a
>good multigrain, that would work for sandwiches?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Phlip

Honourable Ex has this yummy honey wheat loaf that he used to have to
bake in increasing batches because friends "just happened to drop in" on
his regular baking night!  Here is the recipe for Jared Bread:

First adapted from A Portable Feast when I was sharing a house with
several other SCA members, I'd have to make 8 loaves of this on Thursday
night to have 4 to get us through the next week.

1 cup hot tap water
2 Tbsp. honey
3 Tbsp. butter
1 egg
1-1/4 tsp. salt
1 package dry yeast
1 cup white flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
extra flour to knead [both kinds]

In a saucepan combine hot tap water, honey and butter. Place over low
heat until the butter has completely melted. Set aside to cool to just
above body temperature. In a large bowl combine salt, flours and dry
yeast. Blend in the egg and the honey mixture, adding just enough
additional flour to form a stiff dough. Turn out onto a floured surface
and knead until the dough is smooth and elastic and has lost all
stickiness. Then turn dough over several times in a well-buttered bowl
so that all sides are well-greased. Cover and allow to double for 1-1/2
hours. Punch dough down, form into a loaf and place in a greased loaf
pan. Cover and allow to double or at least rise just above the top of
the pan. Bake at 375 degrees F for 30-35 minutes or until bread is
browned and makes a hollow sound when tapped on top. Remove from oven
and turn out on a cake rack to cool.

Makes one loaf.

Nowadays, we don't need quite that much, so I can put it in the bread
machine.

JARED BREAD - MACHINED

1 cup lukewarm water
2 Tablespoons honey [More, up to double is OK]
3 Tablespoons butter, margarine or shortening
1 egg
2 cups white flour, preferably "better for bread" type
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 package or 1 tablespoon dry yeast
1-1/4 teaspoon salt

Bake on "regular" setting, or let breadmachine do all the kneading and
rising, then bake at 375 degrees for 30-40 minutes in the oven.